Clothing and Winter Coats & Accessories Collection Information
On Saturday, Oct. 23rd, the UMW will be collecting coats and winter accessories for Afghan refugees (all ages) that are going to be housed at the Joint Base McGuire Dix in NJ for the next year. They expect 10,000 refugees to come through. Most refugees left Afghanistan with only the clothes on their back and are not prepared for the harsh East Coast winters. We are working with someone who is on active duty at Joint Base McGuire Dix, NJ, to help facilitate the distribution.
In addition, clothing will be collected and packed in barrels of love for Liberia.
DONATIONS ACCEPTED • SATURDAY, OCT. 23, 12 PM – 5 PM, LOWER LEVEL
- Masked donors will be asked to enter through the lower level doors, make an immediate left and find the empty barrels in the hallway facing the parking lot outside the Wesley Center
- Each donor will place their own clothing in a barrel and exit the hallway at the opposite end of the hallway.
- Masked volunteers will compact the clothing, seal, and label the barrels.
THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- Tee Shirts with inappropriate logos or messages
- Women’s Lingerie – bras, underwear, girdles
- Lycra exercise wear
- Dirty clothing
- Clothing with unrepaired tears
- Heavy winter clothing for men, women, children– coats, scarves, wool sweaters, winter hats
- Formal wear
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS (MUST BE CLEAN)
- Junior/Women’s clothing – all sizes
- Shirts, shorts, jeans, lightweight sweaters (cardigans, short sleeved, long-sleeved, fleece jackets, dresses, skirts, blazers, lightweight scarves, purses
- Junior/Women’s shoes/boots
- Men’s clothing – all sizes
- Belts, caps, pajamas, socks, ties
- Shirts, shorts, jeans, pants, sport coats, suits, sportswear
- Men’s shoes/boots
- Children’s clothing – all sizes
- Newborn through size boys and girls size 16
- Children’s shoes/boots
- Winter coats (all ages / sizes)
- Winter accessories (all ages /sizes)
Questions? Use the form below to contact Linda McCreight, coordinator.
Financial contributions can be made by sending a check to Asbury’s Office (“Barrels of Love” in the memo line) or online via Asbury’s Giving Portal (via PushPay).
Use the form below to contact Linda McCreight, coordinator, to volunteer.